Antipasto, Antipasti (plural), translated as “before the meal”. In Italian cooking it means an appetizer typically consisting of olives, anchovies, cheeses, sliced sausage, peppers, artichoke hearts and various meats. Many Americans also believed it was the course served before pasta.The most hearty and daring of guests may enjoy Peprocini, anchovies and roasted garlic cloves in their antipasto. For Allergies or dietary preference*****omit meats for vegetarian. *****check all ingredients for wheat/gluten free. A low calorie option, omit meats and add ingredients that are oil free, and fat free. Most items can be purchased water packed.
Holidays tend to be complex. Delicious Appetizers are a treat to give and to serve. Quick appetizers that relieve the load might even taste better. I have received more compliments on this easy recipe than any other.
Quick, Easy, One dish Antipasto, Great for traveling, 5-10 minutes prep time.
Ingredients to mix together in nonmetallic dish. You can assemble in minutes for a quick pull together take along or marinate a day ahead for melding of all the flavors. Preserve cheese if making ahead do not add until just before serving.
- 1 large jar, 28 ounces of roasted peppers, sliced into strips
- 1 can or container of olives; Black, Kalamata, green or mixed, pitted may be prefered
- 1 Jar marinated mushrooms
- 1 can of Artichoke hearts cut to bite-size or two jars of marinated
- Have the supermarket deli cut a half pound each of provolone and Genoa salami, into 1/2 inch slices , cube at home into 1/2″
- 1 dozen cherry tomatoes halved, or 6 shredded and minced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano or basil, or both.
- dress with premium olive oil. Omit to cut calories
There is no wrong ingredient, add these optional favorites to your audience’s taste, or serve as sides.
- mortadella cubes
- Italian Capicola, shredded or cubed.Various cheeses, Blue, Feta, shredded or flaked Parmesan
- 1 Cup of your favorite pasta cooked and chilled before adding, penne, rottini, farfalle bows or Orecchietti, **** gluten free options are available
- red raw onion
- roasted garlic
- Fresh basil leaves
- shredded prosciutto di parma, sliced and shredded thin
- hot pepper flakes
- roasted Asparagus, Zucchini or Eggplant
- Capers for a salty bite
Serve with Crusty breads, or varried lettuces to make quick salads
- a crusty loaf of bread