When I was a kid, Shepard’s pie was a basic, burger and mash concoction with a can of corn. I loved it, comfort food. Gram or mom would mash the potatoes, add them to the top of the cooked crumbled burger, smooth out the potatoes and score lines on the top, sprinkle with paprika and bake. Plain simple and Homey.
Basic Shepard’s pie. , I bake in a Shallow baking dish, or pie plate
- 1lb ground meat
- 1 small onion or shallot
- 1 lb of cooked vegetables, corn, peas, mixed etc
- Salt, pepper to taste
- 2lbs potatoes, cut into cubes, boiled and mashed
- 1 cup milk, preferably low fat or skim
- 2 tablespoons butter for mashed, optional
Initial cooking and assembly should take less than a half hour, Baking will be another 25 minutes
- Brown meat and diced onion in nonstick pan, crumble fine, Meat should brown without becoming crisp and over cooked. Remove extra fat before moving to baking dish
- Cube, boil to fork tender and mash potatoes, for a rustic look leave skins on, add salt, pepper, milk and optional butter while mashing
- vegetables should be precooked if frozen or fresh, canned can be used as is
- preheat oven to 325 degrees, layer vegetables first, well drained, ground meat, and then mashed, The potatoes are your crust. Spread potatoes smoothly until they cover meat uniformly. With tines of fork, run lines across the top to decorate. You can make a smiley face for the kids. If using butter in the mash the top lines will brown on their own, you can add a spray of cooking spray on top for the same effect, to cut calories and omit butter.
- bake for 25 minutes, a few extra for a browner top
- Serve with a side salad for a balanced meal, serves 6-8
Tips to cut the calories & make gourmet
- Use Ground Turkey Breast, Turkey, Chicken or Buffalo
- To add Flavor, Saute ground meat with savory herbs, Sage, Tarragon, Rosemary or Oregano
- Add garlic, Mushrooms, pearl onions, Spinach or other vegetables to meat during the browning
- Top with any combination of Sweet Potatoes, Winter Squash or mashed Cauliflower in substitution of potatoes.
- This is a Gluten free recipe, Made with Ground Turkey Breast, Mashed potatoes with skim milk and mixed vegetables is is Weight Watcher Friendly at 4.5 points for 8 servings, 6.1 points for 6 servings, If you’re real hungry 9 points for 4 servings. No guilt.
- Recipe made with Beef, Butter, Whole milk, would be 8-15 points depending on serving size.