This is made for my gluten free, nitrate free, nearly vegetarian best guy!!! It’s on the stove right now. Ground Turkey, Chicken or Buffalo can be used to maintain the lo-cal theme.
Ingredients for six servings
- 1lb ground meat
- 1 large pepper or 3/4 cup mixed peppers including hot pepper, diced small
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic or more to preferred taste, finely minced
- 1 carrot chopped fine
- 1 can favorite beans, black, pinto, red kidney, you get the idea
- 1 small can or 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock. 2 cubes bouillon and 2 cups water as a substitute
- 1 cup kitchen ready crushed tomatoes or 1 cup finely diced fresh tomatoes
- Chili, taco or fajita spice (watch for wheat ingredients if need is glutenfree, or homemade spice mix
- salt, pepper to taste
Saute in a non stick pan, onions, carrots and pepper until onions start to caramelize, add ground meat. Chop into small bits as you saute, thoroughly cook and brown, add clove garlic finely chopped, add a few tablespoons at a time of broth if mixture is too dry. Add spice mixture to taste.
Remove from heat.Allow to cool, enough to add to a food processor. I use my Magic Bullet Grinder for processing and do in small batches, add tomatoes and blend, to a rough smoothness. My last batch I did extra smooth.
Place mixture in a crockpot or 2 qt sauce pan, add your favorite beans. Add broth to desired thickness, simmer on low for 1 hour, or crockpot on low for two hours or more. Add more broth if mixture becomes to thick. the broth will cook off and also be absorbed while cooking.
Weight Watcher points is 5 for Ground Chicken. 6 for Buffalo, the lowest is Ground 99% Turkey Breast a 4 points. Regular Ground Turkey 93% is 5 points. If you are a beef lover and can’t go without it ranges from 4-8 depending on leanness of the meat. Weight Watcher recipe is 8 points posted on twitter 1/29