It’s that time of year again, Winter squashes are making their way to Farmer’s Markets, Farm Stands and supermarkets. Acorn, Butternut, Spaghetti, and Delicata. Great baked, boiled or Microwaved. When the weather gets chilly theirs nothing like a Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Best way to peel a smooth winter Squash. prick with a fork on all sides, microwave for 2-3 minutes, remove, easier to peel easier to cut. From here you can
- cut in half diagonally, and roast whole for 45-50 minutes @350 degrees , skin side down, or up, make sure you use non stick spray either way
- cube and roast @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes, serve mashed or as savory soup see recipe
- cut in large chunks, boil for 25 minutes, or until fork tender, drain, and mash, use your favorite herbs, and a hint of brown sugar optional if low calorie is not mandatory
Ribbed Small squashes like acorn and delicata, pierce with fork, microwave 2 minutes, cut in half and seed
- microwave 12 minutes on high for 2 halves, face down, remove from microwave, serve 1/2 per person, for a nice presentation, fork fluff, add a topper of caramelized onions and apples, a center filled with rice, the ideas are endless
- Roast in oven the same way as above for 45 minutes at 375 to prepare for whole, cut off the stem and 1″ of squash to use as a lid, scoop out seeds. If you are baking a small whole squash per person, cut a little flat spot on the bottom, Serve as a whole baked, maybe with a surprise under the top, such as rice, cooked apples, caramelized onions
- cut in 1″ wedges and oven roast like oven fries. Use cooking spray on top and bottom to brown to save calories or drizzle olive oil to crisp, 25 minutes at 375.
Large Squashes, like pumpkin and spaghetti
- A jumbo winter, like Hubbard or pumpkin, prepare as other squashes above, roasting whole will be an hour or more, due to size. Cutting in half and seeding speeds cooking time. Squash is done when fork is able to penetrate easily
- Spaghetti squash is an adventure, to microwave whole, pierce deeply all over microwave on high for 20 minutes, steam should be apparent, pierce to see if tender, cook another 4 minutes if necessary, let sit for 10 minutes before cutting. Cut in half, remove seeds, pull strands into a serving bowl, for a low cal pasta meal, serve as a pasta replacement or a 50/50 swap. 1/2 seeded squash can be treated the same way, for oven roasting cook 1 hour at 350. To with Parmesan for a quick side dish
pleas submit your favorite recipe, for Steffie to add!